Finwall CL is a one-component, pre-blended, normal-hardening, coarse-grained, skimming mortar available in white, based on natural hydrated lime, selected graded aggregates, admixtures and synthetic powder polymers. Due to its special composition, the mortar obtained by mixing with water is easy to apply with a flat metal trowel and finished with a sponge float. Once cured it has a high bonding strength and can be applied at a maximum of 5 mm.
Field of Application
• Smoothing and leveling layers with a textured finish on macro-porous, de-humidifying render when renovating masonry of old buildings damaged by capillary rising damp, including buildings of historical and artistic interest.
• Smoothing and leveling layers with a textured finish on breathable and “structural” base render.
• Smoothing and leveling layers with a textured finish on lime-based render damaged by atmospheric agents, surrounding environmental conditions or ageing.
• Textured finish on internal/external macro-porous, de-humidifying render with a rough finish.
• Textured finish on new render or old lime-based render on stone, brick, tuff and mixed masonry, including on old buildings of historical and artistic interest and listed buildings.
• Textured finish on breathable and “structural” lime-based render.
COVERAGE / CONSUMPTION
Preparation of the substrate
The surfaces to be smoothed and leveled must be clean, sound and free of dust and crumbling areas. It is also recommended to score the surface of new render with a metal-tipped tool to remove any surface laitance and make it easier for the smoothing and leveling mortar to adhere and prevent the formation of air bubbles. Wet the surface of the render before applying smoothing and leveling mortar.
Preparing the product
Using an agitator, pour a 25-kg bag of Finwall CL into a receptacle containing 6.5-7.0 liters of water, mixing continuously at low speed until a homogeneous lump-free paste is obtained. Larger amounts can be prepared in a mortar mixer. Let the paste sit for a few minutes and then mix again briefly. The paste is then ready to apply. The mix is workable for at least 4 hours.
Applying the product
Apply the compound to a maximum of 3 mm thick with a flat metal trowel on the surface. Porous substrates, such as renders or concrete, must be dampened with water beforehand. The surface finishing can be carried out either with a flat metal trowel or with a sponge float several minutes after its application. During hot or windy weather, or in particularly hot areas, spray water on the surface of the smoothing compound when it starts to set and over the next few days when the mortar has completely hardened, to avoid quick drying and hygrometric shrinkage which may cause cracks to form. No particular precautions need to be taken at temperatures around +20°C. At high or low temperatures or with strong ventilation, the normal precautions for the use need to be taken. The product may only be used for decorating internal or external surfaces if they are partially covered and protected.